Thursday 01st September 2005

King's Lynn next for off-form Sittingbourne

Burgess Hill Town 2-0 Sittingbourne
Saturday 14 February 2004
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
by Peter Pitts

After last weeks promising display against Corby this match was something of
a disappointment as the Hillians completed a hat-trick of 2-0 victories over
the Brickies.
Sittingbourne were unable to call on the suspended Ben Taylor and the injury
list now includes  James Campbell, Joe Dowling, Steve Williams, Lee Browning
and Bradley Spice. Kevin Fewell resumed in goal whilst Danny Lye returned
from injury to take Lee Browning's  place.  Darren Smith lined up for
Burgess Hill in his first home match for his new club since signing from
Sittingbourne started well with Danny Lye especially prominent. Burgess Hill
were clearly rattled by early Brickies pressure and were conceding a number
of  free kicks, however despite Burgess Hill being second best for this
early part of the match a Brickies defensive lapse on 17 minutes allowed
Nick Sullivan to break away and find  Shaheen Sadough whose shot gave Fewell
no chance. Their first attack of the match had resulted in the Hillians
taking the lead. 
Sittingbourne were rocked by this goal and Burgess Hill took full advantage
and came right into the game.
Hillians goalkeeper Pat Gannon, who has just recovered from the Hamstring
injury suffered during the game at  Sittingbourne,  was substituted on 22
minutes because he was feeling unwell. 
On 31 minutes Steve Harper cut inside Tom Berry but the resultant  shot was
well held by Fewell. The Brickies nearly drew level six minutes later when a
Jamie Coyle snap shot from fully 25 yards crashed against the crossbar.
Sittingbourne seemed to be having problems with what is probably the
smallest pitch in the league and a minute before half time went further
behind when Nicky Sullivan's cross found an unmarked Steve Harper who gave
Fewell no chance with a well directed header. A minute later Burgess Hill
had Matt Geard to thank when he cleared a Paul Ainsworth header off the
The first half had been a strange affair with Sittingbourne having had the
most corners and attacking play but still being 2 goals down.
The first shot of the second half came on 55 minutes when Kevin Fewell
easily held Darren Smith's shot, but again it was the Brickies who were
having most of the play. On 63 minutes Smissen found Marsh whose shot went
just wide, a minute later a Paul Manning corner was headed over the bar by
Jamie Coyle. Sittingbourne were having chances but couldn't convert them. A
Kieran Marsh diving header went wide and another Manning pass found Clint
Gooding but he blasted the ball just over the bar.
Time was running out and with 3 minutes to go a  Dean Yorath  shot forced
Paul Stark into a spectacular diving side. A minute later it was
Sittingbourne's turn to clear the ball off their goal line when Paul
Ainsworth headed the a ball away with Kevin Fewell stranded.
Sittingbourne have now gained just one win in the last nine games and their
task doesn't get any easier as their next match is away to title chasers
Kings Lynn, however if they can play like they did in the first quarter of
this game they will surely turn the tide.
Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Berry (Neal 67 mins), Lye, Ainsworth, Yorath,
Gooding, Marsh, Cory, Smissen (Rutter 86 mins), Manning, Subs not used,
Ashmore, Beeney

Attendance: 222

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360