Thursday 01st September 2005

To advertise telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360


Saturday 19th
March 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Peter Pitts reports from Bourne Park
Sittingbourne 0  
Barking & East Ham
2 Vaughan 25
Campbell 89 (og)

Brickies boss Nolan prepared to step down

This game was  overshadowed by a sickening 34th minute injury to Barking's Ashley Marsh following a challenge by Joe Dowley, a challenge that resulted in him  being red carded by referee Mr Forrester.

Sittingbourne had already fallen behind eight minutes earlier when John Morgan ran round James Campbell and found Wayne Vaughan in the area and Vaughan gave Kevin Fewell no chance with his shot.

Before that goal Sittingbourne had more than held their own and didn't look under too much pressure. 

Lee Browning, who had his best game for some time for the Brickies, went close on 12 minutes but chances had been at a premium for both sides.

The odds seemed to be stacked against the Brickies in the second half but Sittingbourne's ten men belied their numerical disadvantage and if it hadn't been for some good goalkeeping from their captain Tony Tucker, Barking would have been in trouble.

However, it was the Essex side who had the first chance of the new half when Niall Ritchie fired wide on 48 minutes.

Then on 61 minutes Carl Bruce fired over from a free kick. But then Sittingbourne took control and on 71 minutes Coyle fired narrowly wide from a Kieran Marsh corner.

Sittingbourne continued to press and a cross from Dean Hill was struck goal-wards by Browning but Tucker performed miracles and turned the ball onto a post and over the line for a corner.

From the corner Jon Neal's header was headed off the line by Bradley Woodards.

It was all Sittingbourne and Bradley Spice's cross found Paul Ainsworth whose header was brilliantly tipped away by Tucker.

Barking weathered the storm and began to get back into the game. On 83 minutes Fewell made a good stop from Anthony Read but at the other end Jack Tanner spurned a good chance by blasting a poor clearance over the Barking bar.

With just a minute to go Barking put the game out of reach of the Brickies as a harmless looking corner from Ritchie was turned past his own keeper by James Campbell.

Sittingbourne had a last chance effort to pull a goal back deep into injury time but Coyle's first time shot following a Tanner cross was tipped past the post by Tucker and the Brickies poor form of late continues.

* Meanwhile, Sittinbourne boss Steve Nolan has indicated a wish to step down and so the club is seeking a replacement.  Applicants should contact the club via its website

Sittingbourne: Fewell, Hill, Dowley, Coyle, Campbell, Ainsworth, Spice, Marsh, Neal (Tanner 76), Douglas (Ashmore 67), Browning, Subs: Scott, Czanner