Thursday 01st September 2005
History repeats itself for Sittingbourne
Salisbury City 3-0 Sittingbourne
Saturday 10 January 2004
by Peter Pitts

Salisbury repeated last seasons 3-0 home victory over the Brickies and in the process extended their league unbeaten run to 16 games.

It was easy to see the reason for the impressive sequence of results as Salisbury played some scintillating football at times. Adam Wallace and Mathew Tubbs in particular up front showed the Brickies forwards the way and gave the Brickies defence a torrid time in trying to control them.

Salisbury began as they meant to go on when after just 2 minutes a Wallace shot was deflected for a corner by busy Brickies goalkeeper Kevin Fewell, however a minute later they went one better when from another corner one of the smallest men on the pitch, Mathew Tubbs, glanced a header past Fewell to put the Whites a goal up.

Sittingbourne had a great chance to get back on terms straight away but Jon Neal's shot was deflected for a corner. On 10 minutes Whites keeper Kevin Sawyer failed to gather the ball cleanly but the defence reacted quicker than the Brickies forwards and cleared the ball. Sittingbourne appeared to have regained their composure but still it was the home side having the chances.

On 22 minutes Wallace had a shot form just outside the area that Fewell did well to palm away then from a corner Tubbs fired narrowly wide.

On 38 minutes Ben Taylor did well to dispossess Wallace and send the ball away for a corner. however the corner found an unmarked Josh Thomas at the far post and his first time shot gave Fewell no chance.

Sittingbourne then had a couple of efforts themselves as Yorath set up a chance for Joe Dowley but the effort was blasted over the goal, then Jon Neal shot wide. The half ended with Salisbury once again on the attack and Wallace fired one effort wide and had another well held by Fewell.

The second half started disastrously for Sittingbourne as on 50 minutes Wallace powered into the Brickies area only for referee Mr Cook to adjudge that Ben Taylor had brought him down and  awarded a penalty. Wallace converted the chance himself.  Three minutes later Danny Lye had an effort that was cleared up-field by the Salisbury defenders straight to Wayne Turk who found danger man Mat Tubbs but Tubbs shot bounced off a post to safety.

Salisbury were now in complete control and Sittingbourne were now getting frustrated and both Ben Taylor and Clint Gooding found themselves in the referees notebook. Salisbury continued to come forward and should have extended their lead but Craig Davis scooped a great chance over the bar.

Sittingbourne were coming forward spasmodically and on 68 minutes Clint Gooding had a shot well held by Sawyer and 11 minutes later Danny Lye had a header go straight into Sawyers arms.

Salisbury though finished strongly and on 83 minutes Paul Ainsworth lost the ball in midfield to Tubbs but Tubbs shot was blocked by Fewell and the back up shot sailed over the bar. Kevin Fewell blocked another shot, this time from Craig Davis and on 88 minutes Salisbury substitute Leigh Phillips headed over when completely unmarked.

Another very disappointing show from Sittingbourne in a spell of games against some of the Leagues stronger sides, Burgess Hill and champions elect Kings Lynn coming up next.

Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Dowley, Yorath (Campbell 46 mins), Ainsworth, Taylor (Berry 63 mins), Spice (Marsh 75 mins), Lye, Neal, D Smith, Gooding, Sub not used: Beeney

To advertise here, telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360