Thursday 01st September 2005

Kings complete double over Sittingboune

Kent side take positives out of game

Kings Lynn 5-2 Sittingbourne
Saturday 21 February 2004
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
By Peter Pitts - 

Just one win in ten games for the Brickies now as championship chasers Kings Lynn completed the double, however despite the 5-2 score-line Sittingbourne didn't play that badly but once again mistakes helped in their downfall.

Sittingbourne got off to the best possible as after just 5 minutes Danny Lye and Kieran Marsh caused chaos in the Linnetts defence and David Cory was on hand to fire past keeper Stevie Wilson to score his first goal for the club following his move from Ryman League Walton & Hersham.

Sittingbourne were playing confidently but the lead lasted only 9 minutes before a Dave Staff cross was neatly headed past Fewell by Dale Watkins.

Two minutes later Michael Smissen lost the ball to Linnetts Jack Defty as he tried to play out of his own half, Defty found the unmarked Carl Holmes who gave Fewell no chance with his shot. 

It still didn't look too bad for the Brickies with just the one goal deficit but right on half time David Cory was caught in possession, the ball fell to Dean Yorath but he failed to control it and Dave Staff nipped in, raced away and fired past Fewell.

James Campbell replaced Dean Yorath at half time and the Brickies managed to restrict the Linnetts for twenty four minutes to just one shot which went wide, however they weren't making much ground themselves.

On 68 minutes the Brickies defence failed to clear the ball and from a left hand cross Robbie
Harris beat Fewell to the ball and fired home.

This fourth goal spurred the Linnetts on and a hectic 10 minutes for the Brickies defence followed
beginning with Fewell pulling off a spectacular save from a Craig Fishlock free kick then from the corner he turned the ball round the post for another corner.

Tom Berry then performed miracles by heading the ball off the line from that corner.  Kings Lynn continued to push forward and Fewell blocked two more shots and Tom Berry again cleared the ball off the line.

The pressure finally told and on 78 minutes a goal-bound shot from Lee Stevenson took a deflection as it looped over Fewell into the net for the Linnetts fifth.

This was the second consecutive game that the Linnetts had scored five goals and the first time that Sittingbourne had conceded five goals in a Dr Martens League game since September 2001.

Sittingbourne made the score look more respectable when on 82 minutes Jon Neal, who had replaced Michael Smissen, won a race for the ball with the Linnetts keeper and from a tight angle did brilliantly to find the net.

Well into injury time good work by Neal set up a chance for Marsh but Wilson turned the shot round the post.

A disappointing performance then but some good things came out of the match:  David Cory is looking a fine acquisition and despite carrying an injury had a good game. James Campbell and Joe Dowley both came on as defensive substitutes and did well. Jon Neal, also coming on as a substitute, looks to have regained his sharpness and scored a fine goal, and Danny Lye again had a good game, unfortunately he will sit out next Saturdays' game at home to Stamford as he serves his one match suspension.

Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Berry, Lye, Ainsworth, Yorath (Campbell 46 mins), Gooding, Marsh, Cory, Neal, Smissen (Neal 66 mins), Manning (Dowley 87 mins), subs not used: Beeney, Ashmore.

Attendance: 847


To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360