Thursday 01st September 2005

Sittingbourne suffer a miserable night in Essex

Tuesday 25th
October 2005
Southern League
Division One East
John Pitts reports from Boundary Park
Great Wakering Rovers 2 White 10
Frankis 71
Sittingbourne 0  

Sittingbourne's run of poor league form continued at Great Wakering on Tuesday night, writes John Pitts.

Great Wakering, in 18th place before the game started, didn't look a bad side but Sittingbourne never really left the starting blocks in this game.

Sittingbourne were still without Dan Tanner, Mark Lovell and Dan Edwards. Lee Browning joined this trio on the injury list.

The evening started badly with a horrendous journey to Boundary Park and got worse after just seven minutes when a cross from the right was converted by James White.

This came immediately after a James Campbell header was well saved by the Great
Wakering Keeper, Dave Hudson. Great Wakering's goal came from the goalkeepers
punt down the pitch.

With the wind slightly favouring Great Wakering, Steve Williams was by far the busiest keeper, having a number of corners to deal with.

Sittingbourne, however,  were creating a few half chances though. Kieran Marsh had a volley just go the wrong side of a post after Ricky Spiller (my Sittingbourne Man Of The
Match) picked him out. Shortly after this, Joe Dowley picked up his fifth caution of
the season which means he will now serve a one match ban.

Three minutes into the second half, The Brickies perhaps should have equalised. A through ball found Bradley Spice and his shot was parried back to him by the keeper. Unfortunately Spice's follow up shot was also at the keeper and he managed to clear it for a corner. Shortly after, Peter Davies hit a 30 yard drive just wide.

Generally Sittingbourne were restricted to long range shots but the best Sittingbourne move of the match saw some flowing football started and ended by Mitchell Sherwood with Ricky Spiller also playing a part. Sherwood, on the left wing, passed to the right to Spiller. His long cross fell nicely back to Sherwood but his shot failed to trouble the keeper.

After 71 minutes, disaster struck for Sittingbourne. There appeared to be little danger when the ball was aimed at Frankis through the middle of the pitch. Steve Williams came rushing out but miscalculated and Frankis was on hand to hit home Great Wakering's second goal.

Lovell now changed things, sending Ainsworth up front and bringing on Peter Taylor. However, it was Great Wakering who still looked the more menacing with one shot hitting the cross bar.

So another league defeat for The Brickies and a daunting trip to Ilford to follow. Ilford not having been defeated at home yet.

Great Wakering Rovers: Dave Hudson, Ben Crew, Mark Cartlidge (Gary Ewers),
Nikki Beale, John Heffer, Steve Butterworth, James White, Ross Parmenter,
Gianni Frankis, Martyn Lawrance, Matt Reade; Subs: Iain O'Connell,
Joel Ettienne-Clark, Neil Richmond, James Marrable

Sittingbourne: Steve Williams, Ricky Spiller (Richard Styles), Joe Dowley,
Paul Ainsworth, James Campbell, Kiearan Marsh, Peter Davies (Toby Ashmore),
Clint Gooding, Bradley Spice, Jon Neal (Peter Taylor), Mitchell Sherwood.