Thursday 01st September 2005

To advertise telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360


Saturday 19th
March 2005
Ryman League
Premier Division
Richard Murrill reports from The Warren
Yeading 1 Morgan 28
Folkestone Invicta 0  

Invicta have nothing to show for their efforts at leaders Yeading

FOLKESTONE Invicta came back from Saturday’s trip to league leaders Yeading desperately unlucky to have nothing to show for their efforts after arguably their best performance of the season on a sunny afternoon at the Warren.

Struggling Invicta still go into a potentially crucial Easter weekend desperate for points in their bid to avoid relegation from the Ryman Premier League, but remain outside the bottom four as other results again went their way.

A good all-round team performance saw Invicta enjoy the bulk of the play against a side who shot to national fame back in January with their televised F. A. Cup tie against Premiership giants Newcastle United.

The only goal of the game came after 31 minutes when big centre forward Marvin MORGAN was there to tap the ball into the net after Invicta goalkeeper Tony Kessell had got down to save well from DJ Campbell when the Yeading danger man’s quick feet gave him space after Steve Wales had played the ball in from the right.

Invicta gave a debut to new signing Stuart Myall and had full backs James Everitt and Paul Lamb available again after suspension, with Simon Glover joining James Dryden in attack and former Margate pair Mark Munday and Paul Sykes on the substitutes’ bench.

John Guest was booked as early as the fourth minute for a harsh handball decision and the subsequent free kick flew across the Invicta goal from the left hand side.

But the visitors soon got into their stride and Dryden shot just wide on the turn after 15 minutes when Glover nodded Lamb’s ball forward on.

Captain Scott Lindsey then tried his luck with a long shot at goalkeeper Delroy Preddie when Glover laid the ball back after 19 minutes.

Invicta were looking comfortable and Preddle had to pluck a Dryden shot out of the air after 26 minutes when Glover shrugged off Steve Dell and played the ball across from the left.

Play went straight back up the other end and Steve Norman stretched to play Wales’ ball in from the right out for a corner following a forward run from the Yeading full back.

Invicta threatened again after 28 minutes when Glover laid the ball back and Dryden forced another save from Preddle after making room for himself, with the ball cleared for Invicta’s first corner of the game which Guest headed wide from Andrew Burke’s ball in from the right.

Morgan’s goal soon followed against the run of play.

Invicta responded well at the start of the second half and a Dryden shot was blocked close to the line after 47 minutes as the visitors forced a couple of corners.

The lively Glover was then desperately close after 48 minutes when he burst into the box down the left hand side and goalkeeper Preddle got fingertips on his shot which flashed across the Yeading goal and flew inches wide of the far post.

Guest was then close with two headers from Burke’s subsequent corner from the right hand side.

Yeading threatened to increase their lead on the hour when Campbell got up well to head Wales’ deep cross from the right against the Invicta crossbar.

And left back Leon Woodruffe drilled a low shot from distance at Kessell as the game began to open up.

Wales then took the ball on and forced a good save from Kessell when substitute Davis Haule broke following another spell of Invicta pressure after 71 minutes.

But Invicta continued to press forward and Micheal Everitt shot wide on the turn from the edge of the box after 79 minutes following good work from Lindsey and substitute Munday.

The visitors went three at the back after 81 minutes when striker Sykes replaced defender James Everitt.

Dryden couldn’t get enough power on his shot after 87 minutes after more activity inside the Yeading penalty area also involving Myall and Glover.

But Invicta had a let off during stoppage time when Yeading broke to have two-on-one following an Invicta corner and Micheal Everitt escaped punishment for his saving challenge on Campbell after substitute Dereck Brown put the striker through.

Invicta did not get the equaliser they deserved but more performances such as this one will ease any relegation fears.

There were also second half bookings for Invicta’s Lindsey (disputing a handball decision after 75 minutes) and Sykes (late challenge after 85 minutes).

Invicta's game with Leyton on Good Friday kick's off at 1:00pm at the Westbourne Stadium, Cheriton Road before the BIG ONE on Easter Monday (3pm) when they make the short trip to local rivals Dover Athletic.

YEADING: Preddle, Wales, Woodruffe, Dell (Behzadi 54), Leach, Stanley, Palmer (Haule 54), Darti Brown, Morgan, Campbell, Quamina (Dereck Brown 79).  Unused subs: Telemaque, Protain

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, J. Everitt (Sykes 81), Lamb, Norman, Guest, Lindsey, M. Everitt, Burke (Munday 66), Dryden, Myall, Glover.  Unused subs: Coleman, Walker, Watson.

Attendance: 122.