Thursday 01st September 2005

Leafe's fall out of the FA Trophy

Tuesday 18th
October 2005
FA Trophy
First Qualifying Round
Richard Murrill reports from Church Road
Whyteleafe 1 Guest (og) 90
Folkestone Invicta 2 Dryden 15
Jones 55

Folkestone Invicta won through Tuesday night’s F. A. Trophy First Qualifying Round replay away to Whyteleafe thanks to goals from strikers James Dryden and Paul Jones and will now play at home to Wealdstone in the next round on Saturday November 12th, writes Richard Murrell.

Dryden opened the scoring after 14 minutes at Church Road when he thumped the ball into the net after centre half Adam Flanagan had nodded on Stuart Myall’s throw in from the right.

Striking partner Jones made it 2-0 in the 55th minute when he knocked the ball in after Dryden had flicked on a Tony Kessell kick.

Dean Hamlin was booked for his protests after Invicta’s second goal as the home side appealed for handball against Dryden and Welsh striker Andrew Martin was also booked for dissent two minutes later as the home side’s frustration continued.

Invicta were comfortable winners on the night but their lead was reduced in the 90th minute when centre half John Guest volleyed into his own net when Scott Simpson played the ball in from the left hand side.

The Folkestone side had required a late equaliser to avoid defeat in Saturday’s 1-1 draw but Neil Cugley’s side were quickly into their stride as both starting line ups remained unchanged from that initial meeting.

Whyteleafe goalkeeper James Wastell got across to his right to make a great save and keep out a Steve Norman piledriver from the edge of the box after five minutes when Myall took the game’s first corner from the right hand side.

Dryden then didn’t make full contact with a header when Norman himself played in another corner from the right after eight minutes.

And Dryden’s opener confirmed Invicta’s early ascendancy.

Whyteleafe were struggling to make in-roads during the first half, though Flanagan had to block from striker Martin on the edge of the penalty area after 22 minutes.

Invicta had two chances in the 33rd minute as first a Myall shot whistled past the post from the edge of the box after a Dryden touch and Dryden then turned his defender in the box and sent another shot goalbound, only for Wastell to save at the expense of a corner.

At the other end, a well-struck free kick from Simpson on the right hand side of the box was well held by Kessell after a foul on Martin.

Martin blasted wide for Whyteleafe after 49 minutes when Bradley Drake played the ball in from the right.

But Jones’ goal was to put Invicta in firm control.

Simpson hit another free kick at Kessell from the edge of the penalty area on the hour, but Guest’s own goal was to come too late for Whyteleafe to save the day.

As well as the two bookings which followed Invicta’s second goal, Whyteleafe defender Leigh Douce was booked for handball after 40 minutes when Jones broke and Invicta’s Flanagan was booked for dissent after 53 minutes. 


Whyteleafe: Wastell, Hamlin, T. Martin, Davenport, Douce, Sidwell, Taylor, Drake, Lock (Graham 70), A. Martin, Simpson.  Subs: Howard, Kember, Murray-Price.

Folkestone Invicta: Kessell, J. Everitt, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey, M. Everitt (Chandler 77), Myall, Dryden, Jones (Sly 86), Norman.  Subs: Neilson, Mann.

Attendance: 103