Thursday 01st September 2005
Folkestone beat last season's Trophy semi-finalists
Folkestone Invicta 1-0 Havant & Waterlooville (aet)
FA Trophy Second Round Replay
Tuesday 2 December 2003
By Richard Murrill
A late goal from centre half Adam Flanagan gave Folkestone Invicta a dramatic extra time F. A. Trophy Second Round replay win over last season’s beaten semi finalists Havant & Waterlooville on Tuesday night on a remarkable night which saw the visitors reduced to eight men after having three players sent off.

There were ugly scenes at the final whistle as Havant manager Liam Daish rebuffed his Invicta counterpart Neil Cugley’s offer of a handshake and referee Mr C. Salt from Pulborough had to be escorted back to his dressing room where the angry Havant camp continued to hound the officials.

Havant co-manager Mick Jenkins and defender Alec Masson are believed to be in trouble for comments made to the officials after the game.

Neil Davis, Luke Byles and Neil Champions were the three visiting players to be sent off as Invicta booked a high profile Third Round tie at home to Conference giants Stevenage Borough on Saturday January 10th.

Davis was the first player to be sent off as he received a second yellow card for a late tackle on Micheal Everitt after 70 minutes. He head earlier been booked for a challenge on Paul Lamb after 17 minutes.

The pendulum swung even further in Invicta’s favour after 77 minutes when Byles also picked up a second yellow card for clipping Allan Tait as the Invicta striker ran through. That was the harshest of the three dismissals, though Byles had earlier picked up a needless booking for disputing a free kick decision after 23 minutes.

Havant held on gallantly with nine men and came within six minutes of forcing a penalty shoot out.

But Invicta eventually found a way through when FLANAGAN headed in Lamb’s corner from the right after 114 minutes. It capped a strange night for Flanagan, as he had been caught in traffic en route to the game and only arrived at the Westbourne Stadium within ten minutes of kick off.

The drama did not stop there as Havant’s Champion became the third player to be sent off when he received a straight red card for a foul on Lamb after 118 minutes. Champion had also earlier been booked for dissent after 72 minutes.

Havant’s Chukki Eribenne was also booked for a nasty foul on Drew Watkins after 80 minutes which sparked a mass free-for-all after the striker then allegedly spat at the Invicta defender.

The night had got off to a dramatic start as Invicta named striker James Dryden in their starting line up just over two weeks after being taken away in an ambulance and put into plaster after injuring ankle ligaments at Hastings.

The home side will have been further boosted by the absence through injury of Havant’s Dean Blake who had terrorised the Invicta defence in the initial 2-2 draw on Saturday.

Chances were few and far between during the first half and it soon became apparent that the first goal was likely to be crucial.

The dangerous Eribenne shot on the turn at goalkeeper Tony Kessell from outside the penalty area after just three minutes and Davis’ low right wing cross just evaded striker James Taylor in the middle after 13 minutes.

Flanagan became Invicta’s only booking on the night after 32 minutes and Byles’ subsequent free kick came back off the Invicta post.

Flanagan then did well to recover and tackle Taylor when a ball over the Invicta defence threatened to put the prolific striker through after 38 minutes.

Eribenne shot against the Invicta post after 57 minutes when James Ford’s ball eluded Watkins in the Invicta defence as the stalemate continued.

There was little to choose between the two sides as a Mark Munday shot flashed wide of the Havant post after 63 minutes.

Tait shot into the side netting after 73 minutes when presented with his first real sight on goal as Lamb threaded the ball through to him on the left hand side of the box.

With a two man advantage, Invicta threw on a third striker in Lee Blackman to replace midfielder Martin Chandler after 83 minute. But the home side still could not find that vital breakthrough as an Anthony Hogg shot was blocked by a defender when Tait played the ball in from the right after 85 minutes and Dryden blasted his shot over after 90 minutes following an Everitt ball.

Havant goalkeeper Gareth Howels became the next visiting player to be booked as he was cautioned for time-wasting as the Hampshire club held on for extra time.

Howells saved from Dryden after 95 minutes and the Invicta striker could only put his rebound into the side netting.

Taylor shot into the side netting a minute later as Havant remained a threat on the break at the other end.

Dryden headed against the post after 102 minutes from a sweet Darren Winfield cross from the left.

Havant were dealt a further blow when dangerous striker Eribenne limped off before the end of the first period of extra time.

Invicta just could not turn possession into a goal as a Dryden shot was blocked after 108 minutes and Blackman couldn’t get enough power on his shot after an Everitt ball three minutes later.

But Flanagan’s late winner was to spare Invicta the tension of another penalty shoot out after their heartbreaking F. A. Cup exit at Welling earlier in this season.

This was a night which will be remembered for a long time and for a variety of reasons. Even one of the Stripes’ windows was smashed as Havant cleared their lines at the Cheriton End. 

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, Watkins (Winfield 90 mins), Lamb, Flanagan, Lindsey, Hogg, Chandler (Blackman 83 mins), Munday, Dryden, Tait, Millar (Everitt 59 mins).  Unused subs: Rainbow, Egan.

HAVANT & WATERLOOVILLE: Howells, Champion, Ferrett, Byles, Skelton (Turner 117 mins), Masson, Town, Eribenne (Paul 108 mins), Davis, Taylor, Ford.  Unused subs: Kerridge, Knight.

 Attendance: 337.