Thursday 01st September 2005

Folkestone stretch unbeaten run to fifteen games

Folkestone Invicta 2-1 Burgess Hill Town
Saturday 7 February 2004
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
by Richard Murrill

Folkestone Invicta stretched their unbeaten Eastern Division run to 15 matches as they took all three points thanks to a 68th minute winner from centre half John Guest in a hard-fought match at the Westbourne Stadium on Saturday afternoon against a Burgess Hill side who finished the match with nine men.  

GUEST’s winner came when he rifled a low shot into the corner of the net after the ball had fallen to him in the box.

Invicta had again had to do things the hard way in a physical game on a heavy pitch.

The visitors had opened the scoring after 28 minutes when Steve HARPER found the net from the penalty spot following a foul by Scott Lindsey on Ashley Carr down the right hand side when Nick Sullivan played the ball in.

Invicta were level in the 42nd minute when Anthony HOGG slid the ball past goalkeeper Paul Stark when put through by James Dryden.

The visitors lost their heads in the closing minutes as first Nick Bridle and then captain Ben Andrews, both former professionals at Brighton & Hove Albion, were sent off for rash challenges by the touchline near the dressing rooms.

Bridle received a second yellow card in the 90th minute for a foul on Paul Lamb, having earlier been booked for an equally bad foul on Hogg after 16 minutes.

And then centre half Andrews was shown a straight red card for a crude stamp on Allan Tait.

Invicta captain Lindsey and Burgess Hill’s Julian Curnow and Des Guile had earlier been booked for dissent by referee Ralph Bone from Orpington, who had run the line in Manchester City’s extraordinary midweek F. A. Cup comeback win at Tottenham.

The visitors had started well and had gone close to scoring in the first minute when Sullivan shot against the crossbar after just 48 seconds.

It was a lively opening to the game as Sullivan charged down goalkeeper Tony Kessell’s attempted clearance in the second minute and Hogg’s low shot flashed just wide of the post at the other end after three minutes.

Peter Overton shot wide after 13 minutes when showed strength to create an opening when Lamb’s cross from the left came back out to him.

A Dryden shot was saved by goalkeeper Stark after 35 minutes as Invicta attempted to get back into the game after Harper’s opener.

But the visitors had further chances either side of the Invicta equaliser as Sullivan’s shot on the turn flashed just wide across goal after 40 minutes and Harper shot wide with a good chance during first half stoppage time after Sullivan had done well to get the ball over to him at the far post from the right hand side.

Sullivan got clear again after 65 minutes and had two shots at Kessell, two minutes before guest put Invicta ahead.

Harper didn’t make the most of his chance when he cut in after 72 minutes after Andrews had run forward from defence.

And Sullivan headed away from the goal with another good chance after 78 minutes.

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, Everitt, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey (Ayling 63 mins), Hambley, Overton (Chandler 84 mins), Dryden, Tait, Hogg.  Unused subs: Watkins, Dyson, Holdway.

BURGESS HILL TOWN: Stark, Sullivan, Guile, Curnow, Andrews, Downey, Harper, Price, Smith (Kilpatrick 81 mins), Carr (Shadough 58 mins), Bridle.  Unused subs: Dallaway, Lucey, Gannon.

Attendance: 425.  

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360