Thursday 01st September 2005

Folkestone's 24 match unbeaten run comes to an end

Bashley complete double over Cugley's men

Folkestone Invicta 1-2 Bashley
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
Tuesday 30 March 2004
by Richard Murrill

Folkestone Invicta’s 24-match unbeaten run in the Dr Martens League Eastern Division came to an end as Bashley became the first side to complete a league ‘double’ over Neil Cugley’s side at the Westbourne Stadium on Tuesday night.

Invicta’s long run had begun after a 3-0 defeat at Bashley in the New Forest back in November and the Hampshire club kept up their hopes of promotion via a top seven finish by recording their first ever win at Cheriton Road.

Bashley opened the scoring after 29 minutes when Richard GILLESPIE got the final touch after Dave Wakefield got just before goalkeeper Tony Kessell to close down a back pass.

Invicta were level after 41 minutes when James Dryden intercepted a weak back at the other end and put Martin CHANDLER through for the midfielder to hit his third goal in three consecutive matches in off the post.

But Bashley’s winner came after 64 minutes when Graeme Gee put Stuart CANNIE through the middle and the striker rifled his shot into the back of the net.

Unlike Saturday’s late escape against King’s Lynn, this time there was to be no way back for Invicta.

The home side had made a positive start as Chandler shot wide from the right hand side of the box within the opening minute and Dryden shot into the side netting from the left hand side after just three minutes.

For Bashley, Gary Connolly’s deep free kick from the right had Kessell stretching after four minutes.

But Invicta were close again after five minutes when Anthony Hogg’s shot from outside the penalty area came back off the post.

It was a wide open start to the game and Bashley defender Mat Jones headed a Wakefield free kick from the left wide after eight minutes.

Gillespie got in between the Invicta defence and forced a corner from the right hand side after 16 minutes, while at the other end Dryden shot wide from the left hand side when Mark Munday put him through after 21 minutes.

Invicta thought that they had levelled Bashley’s opening goal when Micheal Everitt put the ball into the net after 33 minutes when goalkeeper David Elm punched the ball away following a goalmouth scramble. But the home side were aggrieved when the ‘goal’ was ruled out by a linesman’s flag. 

And you began to wonder whether it was going to be one of those nights for the Folkestone side when Elm saved a hHogg shot after 35 minutes following a pass from Chandler.

Invicta goalkeeper Kessell saved with his feet to deny Gillespie when he got in behind Paul Lamb after 51 minutes.

But the home side pressed forward themselves and Drew Watkins shot at Elm from the edge of the penalty area in the 53rd minute.

It was still end-to-end as within a minute Bashley’s Gee shot over from the edge of the penalty area when big captain Danny Gibbons touched Wakefield’s ball from the left back to him.

Dryden headed a Watkins cross from the right just wide of the post after 55 minutes following good play from Chandler on the left and a Watkins free kick curled just over the crossbar after a foul on Chandler in the 61st minute.

Bashley’s second goal had Invicta chasing the game and striker Lee Blackman replaced defender Scott Lindsey after 80 minutes to signal the home side’s intent.

Lamb’s shot was touched away and onto the post by Elm in the 88th minute following a good touch by Blackman, but a linesman’s flag would once again have denied Invicta in any case.

There were bookings for Invicta’s Hogg and for Bashley’s Wakefield and Neil Morant.

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, Everitt, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey (Blackman 80 mins), Chandler, Munday, Dryden, Watkins, Hogg.  Unused sub: Walker, Dyson, Winfield, Egan.

BASHLEY: Elm, Morant, Lisk, Connolly, Jones, Darnton, Gee, Gibbons, Cannie, Gillespie, Wakefield.  Unused subs: Stubbs, Blackmore, Keeping, Harval.

Attendance: 354.