Thursday 01st September 2005

Dover end Folkestone's run in league cup....again!

Former Folkestone goalkeeper Wietecha thwarts his old mates

Dover Athletic 2-0 Folkestone Invicta
Dr Martens League Cup Fourth Round
Tuesday 17 February 2004
by Richard Murrill

Two goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half condemned Folkestone Invicta to a Dr Martens League Cup exit away to local rivals Dover Athletic for the second successive year.

Invicta had finished the first half strongly, but were disappointing during the second half as Craig Cloke and Israel Amadi scored the goals which gave Dover victory in Tuesday night’s Fourth Round tie in front of a 650 crowd.

Nineteen-year-old Dover-born centre half CLOKE opened the scoring in the local derby when he rifled in a well-taken goal in the 51st minute after a free kick from the right had been headed back out to him by Invicta defender John Guest.

And Nigeria-born substitute AMADI made it 2-0 eight minutes later when he slotted the ball past goalkeeper Tony Kessell after a free kick from Dover goalkeeper Dave Wietecha was allowed to sail straight through to him for a soft goal from a defensive point of view.

Wietecha was making his home debut for Dover Athletic after moving to the club from Invicta nearly eighteen months ago.

The former Millwall shot-stopper moved into the non-league game with Ryman League Bromley whilst he was living in Romford and working in London before moving to the Kent coast.

The big goalkeeper made 165 appearances for Invicta and he  picked up the man of the match award after thwarting his former club during the final quarter of an hour of the first half.

Wietecha’s best save came after 33 minutes when he pulled off a great reflex save to keep out a John Ayling screamer when a James Dryden cross from the left came back out to the 21-year-old striker.

That came two minutes after Wietecha had come out to save from Dryden, who was put through by Anthony Hogg and has now gone twelve games without a goal.

Wietecha also saved at his near post from Allan Tait right on half time when Tim Hambley played the ball out to the striker on the left hand side of the box.

Dover had created all the early chances as Jamie Day nearly caught Kessell by surprise from the right hand side after seven minutes and James Awuah should have done better when he shot wide after being put through by Lee Spiller on the quarter of an hour mark.

Invicta’s Hambley was booked for a foul on Awuah after 19 minutes and Cloke got forward to head the subsequent free kick just over the crossbar.

A spectacular 25-yard strike from home striker Craig Wilkins flew just over the Invicta crossbar on the hour mark a Dover took control.

Spiller was booked for a 65th minute foul on Dryden.

Invicta’s three-pronged attack didn’t make many in-roads on the Dover goal after the interval and it is the home side who go on to play away to Premier Division leaders Crawley Town in the quarter finals next Tuesday night.

DOVER ATHLETIC: Wietecha, Browne, Davies (Welch 32 mins), Ball, Cloke, Rogers, Day, Spiller, Wilkins (Skelton 82 mins), Awuah, Carruthers (Amadi 45 mins).   Unused subs: Hamshare, Hyde.

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, Watkins, Lamb, Hogg, Guest (Everitt 78 mins), Lindsey, Hambley, Chandler, Dryden, Tait, Ayling.  Unused subs: Blackman, Winfield, Waters, Egan.

Attendance: 650.

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360