Thursday 01st September 2005
Invicta on the right track at Corby
Corby Town 0-4 Folkestone Invicta
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
Saturday 18 October 2003
by Richard Murrill
Folkestone Invicta put the disappointment of their F. A. Cup penalty shoot out defeat at Welling United behind them with a resounding 4-0 win at Corby Town as they returned to Dr Martens League Eastern Division action.

Mark Munday, Allan Tait, James Dryden and Lee Blackman scored the goals amidst the Northamptonshire sunshine.

An athletics track between the pitch and one stand and an attendance of just 84 makes the Rockingham Triangle Stadium one of the less atmospheric grounds on the circuit. But this is just the sort of fixture that Invicta needed to win as they catch up on their league programme after their recent cup exploits.

It took Invicta until the 38th minute to open the scoring on Saturday when MUNDAY headed in Drew Watkins' free kick from the right.

And the visitors put themselves firmly in charge when TAIT made it 2-0 in the 45th minute with a low shot across the goal into the far corner of the net when put through on the right hand side.

DRYDEN made it 3-0 after 50 minutes when he headed a pinpoint cross from Tait back across goal and into the net when James Millar played a great ball down the right flank.

Goalscorers Tait and Dryden were then given some well deserved rest after 77 minutes and it was their replacements Blackman and John Ayling who were involved in the final goal.

Ayling showed great footwork and skill down the right hand side after 82 minutes and BLACKMAN converted his low cross in off the crossbar for his first senior goal for the club.

Corby had held their own in the opening exchanges and might have taken an early lead when Richard Challinor shot wide from the edge of the penalty box within 30 seconds of the start.

At the other end, home defender Steven Julian cleared off the line to deny Dryden after the Invicta striker had gone round goalkeeper Richard Lavin in the 12th minute following a weak back pass from Jamie Hawthorn.

Goalkeeper Lavin then saved well from Tait after 14 minutes when Dryden put him through after Everitt had won the ball in midfield.

At the other end, James Le Masurier shot at Tony Kessell after turning on the edge of the penalty area after 16 minutes.

Corby had further chances as Kessell got down to save when Dean Foley let fly from 35 yards after 31 minutes and La Masurier shot just wide when the ball fell to him on the right hand edge of the box after 34 minutes.

Tait had two shots blocked in the penalty area when a Millar free kick was charged down after 36 minutes when Dryden was fouled on the edge of the box.

But Munday was to open the scoring seconds later and Invicta were then always in control.

Foley's free kick from 25 yards deflected off an Invicta defender for a corner in the 48th minute.

But Tait and Dryden's goals either side of half time made the game well and truly safe for Neil Cugley's side.

Lavin saved well to push Millar's shot from the left hand edge of the box over the crossbar for a corner after 61 minutes after Everitt had played the ball in to Watkins.

Corby's Danny Marlow didn't get enough power on his shot when picked out on the left after 67 minutes and Kessell got down to turn Le Masurier's shot around the post for a corner following a dangerous run from substitute Michael Sneddon after 71 minutes.

Blackman will remember his first Dr Martens League goal and could have struck again after 84 minutes but was denied by goalkeeper Lavin after the substitute had capitalised on an error from Foley down the middle.

CORBY TOWN: Lavin, Yardey, Vallance, Foley, Julian, Hawthorn, Marlow, Kennedy, Hardie (Sneddon 55 mins), Le Masurier (Moore 82 mins), Challinor (Stanton 82 mins).  Unused subs: Marshall, Glover.

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell. Everitt, Lindsey, Larkin, Guest, Watkins (Winfield 71 mins), Chandler, Munday, Dryden (Blackman 82 mins), Tait (Ayling 82 mins), Millar.  Unused subs: Dyson, Holdway.

Attendance: 84.