Thursday 01st September 2005 - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football


Saturday 4
September 2004
Ryman League
Premier Division
Richard Murrill reports from New Lodge
Billericay Town 0  
Folkestone Invicta 0  

Debutant Coleman, 16, almost scores on first team debut

Honours were even as defences emerged on top as Folkestone Invicta came away from Billericay with a point following a goalless draw amid glorious sunshine on Saturday afternoon.

Invicta had been beaten on all four previous visits to New Lodge to meet Billericay’s tenants Chelmsford City and will have been more pleased with the result than their hosts as Neil Cugley’s side again proved hard to beat whilst lacking that elusive cutting edge to take all three points.

Goalkeeper Tony Kessell made two very good saves to keep his side level during the first half, whilst 16-year-old Luke Coleman nearly made a move for himself with a last ditch injury time chance on his first senior outing.

Kessell made the game’s first real save when he got down to keep out striker Chris Stowe’s header after just five minutes when the ball was played across from the left hand byline.

Kessell then tipped over Billericay captain Jamie Dormer’s shot for the game’s first corner when Gavin Heeroo played the ball back after 12 minutes.

Visiting goalkeeper Kessell then did extremely well to take the ball off Neil Cousins’ feet as the Billericay man looked to have gone round him when Heeroo played a low ball through and the linesman’s flag for once stayed down.

Invicta hadn’t really threatened Billericay’s debutant goalkeeper Paul Gothard, a former England non-league international, and Ian Pulman could only shoot wide across goal when Drew Watkins played the ball in down the right hand side during first half stoppage time.

The visitors continued to hold their own after the interval and the pacy Simon Glover became an increasing threat just behind the front two.

Billericay centre half Robin Trott let fly from 35 yards with a shot that sailed just over the crossbar after 72 minutes.

Big Trott then got forward to head substitute Ludovic Quiston’s inviting left wing cross across goal after 84 minutes.

Coleman, a member of Invicta’s successful under 16 side last season, replaced Pulman for his senior debut after 87 minutes and could have grabbed the headlines when he went round goalkeeper Gothard after being put through by fellow substitute John Walker but couldn’t find the net after being forced too wide with virtually the last kick of the match.

Guest and fellow centre half Adam Flanagan had again looked solid for an Invicta defence which has conceded the least amount of goals in the Ryman Premier League so far this season, along with leaders Yeading who have played a game less.

Invicta entertain Kent rivals Tonbridge Angels at Westbourne Stadium on Tuesday night - a game being covered by

BILLERICAY TOWN: Gothard, McSweeney, Henty, Sappleton, Trott, Dormer, Heeroo, Hunter, Stowe (Wareham 61 mins), Hockton, Cousins (Quiston 76 mins).  Unused subs: Jones, Kerrigan, Fergus.

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, Watkins, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Everitt, Chandler (Walker 81 mins), Munday, Dryden, Pulman (Coleman 87 mins), Glover. Unused subs: Lindsey, Rook, Morrin. 

Attendance: 391. 


To Advertise Here - Telephone Stephen McCartney - 07979 418 360