Thursday 01st September 2005

Dryden books trip to Chester

Saturday 22nd
October 2005
FA Cup
Fourth Qualifying Round
Richard Murrill reports from Buckingham Road
Aylesbury United 0  
Folkestone Invicta 2 Dryden 17, 81

Two goals from record goalscorer James Dryden took Folkestone Invicta through to the First Round Proper of the FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history where Neil Cugley’s side will travel to meet Coca-Cola League Division Two side Chester City on Saturday November 5th, writes Richard Murrill.

Dryden scored one in each half to give Invicta a famous victory in Buckinghamshire on Saturday and then players and supporters alike watched on as the First Round draw was made live on television following the game.

The statistics make happy reading for an Invicta side which has now won eight of its last ten matches, with seven clean sheets along the way, and which has now become the first Folkestone side to reach the First Round of the FA Cup since the old club lost 5-2 away to Oxford United when current manager Cugley was centre forward in 1982.

Invicta were good value for their win on Saturday as Dryden opened the scoring after 17 minutes when Paul Jones shrugged off defender Greg Williams and pulled the ball back for his striking partner.

And Dryden struck again to calm any late nerves after 81 minutes when his cross-cum-shot when straight into the net after Stuart Myall had gone up with goalkeeper Jack Rashid.

Invicta had gone into the game with midfielder Martin Chandler making his first start of the season in place of suspended captain Scott Lindsey, with Micheal Everitt taking over as skipper.

Aylesbury had a couple of early chances as Tony Kessell saved from both top goalscorer Drew Roberts and Gavin Jaggard, the latter having been put through by Dean Powles.

But Dryden’s goal was to give Invicta the ascendancy and their in-form back five something to defend, while the hard-working Dryden and Jones remained a constant threat in attack.

Kearns chipped over for Aylesbury, but Dryden called Rashid into action again and the visitors threatened once more at the end of the first half when a low James Everitt shot was touched wide by goalkeeper Rashid.

Invicta continued to create chances after the interval as Rashid had to save from Dryden and Myall then shot wide.

The Folkestone side could then have increased their lead when Myall struck the crossbar when he cut on from the left.

At the other end, Kessell denied Paul Edgeworth after 65 minutes.

The Ducks had penalty appeals turned down when Roberts went down in the box and also lost Powles to injury when he took a blow in the face.

Jamie Kearns shot at Kessell when put through, but the visitors continued to look dangeroius and Myall shot wide with a good chance before Dryden’s second goal was to put the seal on Invicta’s victory.

Aylesbury’s Edgeworth was the game’s only booking in a game which marked Invicta left back Paul Lamb’s 100th starting appearance for the club.

Aylesbury United:: Rashid, Williams, Mead, McCafferty (Bewers), Hayward, Folds, Kearns (Roni), Powles (Lazarus), Jaggard, Roberts, Edgeworth.  Sub:: De Souza.

Folkestone Invicta: Kessell, J. Everitt, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Chandler, M. Everitt, Myall, Dryden, Jones, Norman.  Subs: Watson, Sly, Knott, Dunlop, Mann.

Attendance: 646.