Thursday 01st September 2005
Folkestone extend unbeaten run to eleven games
Fisher Athletic 1-1 Folkestone Invicta
Saturday 20 December 2003
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
by Richard Murrill

Folkestone Invicta had to settle for a point at Fisher on Saturday as player-manager Gary Abbott equalised for the home side in the 38th minute after Martin Chandler had opened the scoring for Invicta on the quarter of an hour mark.

The blustery weather made conditions difficult at the Surrey Docks Stadium, particularly during the first half although the wind had died down after the interval when it would have been in the visitors’ favour.

The draw stretches Invicta’s unbeaten run to 11 matches in all competitions, although they didn’t do enough to win the game on this occasion.

Invicta had an early chance when striker James Dryden shot at goalkeeper Robert O’Hara after latching onto a poor back pass in the sixth minute.

At the other end, Fisher captain Steve Aris headed over when the home side won the game’s first corner of the game after ten minutes.

CHANDLER put Invicta ahead when he rifled in a low shot from the right hand side of the box when Anthony Hogg broke down the left and played the ball across to the far post.

Mark Munday had a half chance to increase the lead from close range just two minutes later when James Millar’s shot was charged down.

It was looking good for Invicta as Dryden shot across goal when he got in behind a defender down the left after 22 minutes.

Millar then shot at goalkeeper O’Hara after 32 minutes when Dryden’s cross fell to him.

For Fisher, Taf Islam sent a dangerous ball across from the right after beating Scott Lindsey in the 36th minute.

And the prolific ABBOTT made it 1-1 after 38 minutes when he headed Steve Taylor’s cross into the left hand corner of the net to bring Fisher back into the game.

The home side were to have the better of the second half and threatened after 49 minutes when Islam created problems down the right again.

Chandler had a chance to score again after 51 minutes when he hit a low shot wide of the spot from the edge of the penalty area when Munday sent Dryden away down the left hand side.

Islam got in behind the Invicta defence but shot wide across goal after 59 minutes.

Invicta had lost Drew Watkins to an eye injury after 56 minutes and then turned to striker John Ayling to conjure up a winner when he replaced Paul Lamb after 78 minutes. Lamb had been kept on his toes by the trickery of Goma Lambu on the Fisher flank.

An Ayling header was saved by goalkeeper O’Hara following a cross from the left after 83 minutes and a 25-yard Chandler shot was touched over for a corner by O’Hara a minute later.

But Fisher looked the more likely winners in the latter stages as Adam Young shot at Kessell following a ball from Marlon Patterson after 87 minutes.

The home side also had a couple of chances during injury time as Patterson shot wide from the edge of the box after shrugging off Micheal Everitt and Abbott shot at Kessell with virtually the last kick of the game when Patterson played the ball across.

In what had could have been a shoot out between three of the Eastern Division’s leading goalscorers, Fisher’s Richard Brady was reduced to a bit part substitute appearance, Dryden worked hard in a lone-striker role for Invicta and Allan Tait took on the role of an unused substitute as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

There were bookings for Fisher captain Aris (foul on Chandler after 45 minutes) and Invicta’s Watkins (kicking the ball away after conceding a free kick after 42 minutes).

FISHER ATHLETIC (London): O’Hara, Taylor, Rouse, Aris, Hannigar, Khan, Lambu, Young, Abbott, Islam (Brady 82 mins), Patterson.  Unused subs: Fletcher, Scowen, Ponsford.

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Kessell, Watkins (Everitt 56 mins), Lamb (Ayling 78 mins), Flanagan, Guest, Hogg, Chandler, Munday, Dryden, Lindsey, Millar.  Unused subs: Winfield, Tait, Holdway.

 Attendance: 95.