Thursday 01st September 2005 - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football


Tuesday 21
September 2004
FA Cup - First Qualifying Round Replay Stephen McCartney reports from Hayes Lane
Bromley 1 Taiwo 58 (pen)
Fisher Athletic 0  

Bromley knock big-spenders out of FA Cup

Bromley knocked big spending Fisher Athletic out of the FA Cup at The Clive Christian Stadium in Hayes Lane tonight.

Solomon Taiwo's fifth goal of the season in the 58th minute came from the penalty spot, awarded by referee Hopkins after goalkeeper Jerome John upended Mark Watson just inside the penalty area after the striker took the ball past him.

Fisher captain Steve Aris took the gloves off red-carded John, but Taiwo's right-footed penalty was drilled low into the bottom left hand corner to earn Stuart McIntyre's side a home tie against Go Travel Kent League side Thamesmead Town - who defeated Worthing 2-1 at Bayliss Avenue on Saturday - into the second qualifying round on 2nd October.

Both sides went close to scoring in the opening seven minutes with Ahmet Suleymanoglu's 16-yard effort comfortably saved by John before Fisher's summer signing from Dagenham & Redbridge, Leon Braithwaite, who headed Steve McNamara's left wing cross inches wide of the post.

Damien Scannel left Bromley midfielder Paul Kember in his wake before racing towards the penalty area and as Bromley goalkeeper Andy Walker came rushing out of his goal, left-back Sam Okafor swept out the danger, heading the ball out for a corner.

After the visitors went close to scoring in the 24th minute, Fisher enjoyed a good spell, despite a tight opening half-an-hour.

A poorly struck Okafor free kick from inside his own half was picked up by McNamara in midfield but his progress was halted by Bromley winger Gary Drewett, who proceeded to attack the visitors before playing the ball inside to Watson, who was denied by a good tackle by Aris.

Bromley's 22-year-old goalkeeper Walker was outstanding throughout and he denied the visitors a goal in the 36th minute, making a save from a 22-yard shot.

Just before the break, a fine passing move from the home side saw Suleymanoglu pick out Scott Bennetts at the far post, but the former Metropolitan Police winger headed wide.

Former Welling United player Anthony Rivere headed wide of the target within 84 seconds of the second half starting and the Fish went close again when an eighteen-yard-shot was inches away from finding the corner of the net.

However, the only goal of the game sent Bromley though into the next round in the 58th minute when Watson latched onto a defence splitting ball and took the ball past the goalkeeper before being felled, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot and brandish the red card.

With only ten men, Fisher can feel hard done by for not forcing extra time, as they found Walker in top form with Braithwaite being twice denied in the last seven minutes and Steve Watts' going close from a sixteen-yard-shot that flashed just wide at the death.

Bromley: Andy Walker, Steve Potterill (Gavin Rose 37), Sam Okafor, Paul Kember (Chris Hill 73), Ochea Ikpa, Danny Arkwright, Gary Drewettm Ahmet Suleymanoglu (Solomon Taiwo 53), Leroy Huggins, Mark Watson (Capt), Scott Bennetts.  Subs: Adolph Amoako, Harry Hunter (GK)

Fisher Athletic: Jerome John, Damien Scannell, Steve McNamara (Nick Davies 62), Steve Aris (Capt), Mark Warren, Michael Smith, Anthony Riviere, Lenny Piper (Wayne Burnett 90), Leon Braithwaite, Steve Watts, Hamid Barr (Ray Powell 70).  Subs: Terry Khan, Adam Young

Referee: Mr J Hopkins
Assistants: Mr I Fissenden & Mr P Andrews