Thursday 01st September 2005
www.yourcounty.co.uk - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football


Sunday 5 September 2004 FA Cup
Preliminary Round
Stephen McCartney Reports from Stonebridge Road
Dartford 5 Jim Carter 18,46
Tostao Kwashi 39,72
Tommy Planck 90
Horsham YMCA 0  

Five star Darts

DARTFORD cruised into the first qualifying round of the FA Cup after demolishing Sussex County League leaders Horsham YMCA at a scorching Stonebridge Road on Sunday.

Two headed goals, his first goals of the season, from Jim Carter and a brace from attacking winger Tostao Kwashi and one from the returning Tommy Planck, entertained and thrilled Dartford's highest crowd of the season.

The outcome, however, could have been so different as Horsham YMCA, with a 100% record in their opening five league games, almost scored after only 56 seconds but James Bird shot straight at goalkeeper Jimmy Simpson.

Kwashi was on top form, causing problems for the visitors throughout the game, until he was substituted with a smile on his face in the 82nd minute to an ovation from the happy home fans.

He played a part in the move that saw Eddie McClemets' struck the right post after 15 minutes.

Two minutes later, however, Simpson was called into action again, saving Ally Russell's low 12-yard shot after he raced towards goal, leaving Paul Sykes in his wake.

When Dartford took the lead in the 18th minute, there was no looking back.

All credit has to go to midfielder Mark Horan, whose strength and composure got him through James Grant and Joel O'Hara in midfield, who were both left bemused as Kwashi made inroads down the right flank.

The talented player delivered a telling cross to the far post inside the six yard box and Jim Carter's powerfully headed home his first goal of the season to the pleasure of the home faithful.

Darts' defender Barry Gibson and Skyes left room open for Grant to weave his way into the penalty area, but trying to beat Simpson inside the near post, his 12 yard shot crashed into the side netting in the 23rd minute.

The Southern League side probed for their second goal and Tommy Martin's lob from 20 yards was not that far away, but the Sussex outfit issued warnings that they would not go down without fighting - for a while at least.

Simpson was forced to parry Russell's 25-yard shot and was well and truly beaten nine minutes before the break.

Nathan Sleat delivered a free kick from the left flank and O'Hara's 12-yard shot came back off the left post.

Dartford, however, put the game beyond Horsham YMCA's reach by adding their third goal on 39 minutes.

Captain Tommy Osborne's clearance at left back was headed on by Carter and Kwashi latched onto the ball in an instant.  The prolific striker raced towards goal and stroked the ball home into the right side of the net - a goal the home fans appreciated.

Dartford manager Tommy Sampson was clearly not satisfied as the teams left the field and asked more from them during the interval.

With the manager's words still ringing in their ears, Dartford increased their lead to 4-0 within only 50 seconds of the re-start.

Ted Ansell delivered a left-footed free kick from the right hand side finding Carter who leaped up close to the far post and his looping header flew across goal and landed inside the top of the other post.

Bird blazed over for the visitors after Dartford cleared Sleat's flag kick before the Darts' twice went close in as many minutes.

Carter got the better of three defenders before unleashing a shot that flashed wide of the post before McClements' stole possession in midfield, raced through on goal but was denied from 14 yards by exposed goalkeeper James Plumley, whose heroics between the sticks kept the score down to five.

After 63 minutes the stopper parried Kwashi's shot but the striker retrieved the ball and his second effort was blocked inside the six yard box by Tom Carter.

The YMCA goal lived a charmed life but they found the net after 72 minutes when Kwashi brought the ball under control, chesting the ball down before turning and firing the ball into the net from the edge of the penalty box.

Dartford substitute Tommy Planck made a welcome return to action late on and brought a fine stop from the goalkeeper but he made it a five star Dartford showing in the 90th minute, rolling home McClements' low cross from the left, at the far post.

Speaking after the game, Dartford manager Tommy Sampson praised two-goal hero Jim Carter.

He said: "Jim is a very good centre forward of the old fashioned style, and I think he suits the way we play.

"We try and get it wide to Tostao Kwashi, and we get Eddie McClements around Jim as much as possible.

"Tostao runs at people out wide on the right.  I felt sorry for their number three - he looked like he was on a life support system at half time!

"Jim will come and get far post headers and he does unselfish work, he works hard and I think he will be valuable to us if we get the rub of the green."

Sampson explained why he was angry with his side, even though they were 2-0 up at the break.

He said: "I thought we stopped playing at 2-0.  It was a case of switching off and I am trying to make players not to do that.

"I told them at half time if Horsham YMCA go out and score then we would find it difficult.  However, we went out and scored.

"I was a bit annoyed.  We have set ourselves better standards this year and we want to try and keep them up."

Dartford entertain Dorking at Stonebridge Road in the next round, and although it's a difficult game against the Ryman League Division One side, Sampson is looking for a cup run to help balance the books.

He said: "Dorking are the same level as us.  I know someone who went to watch them on Saturday because the FA Cup is too important for us.

"I haven't set targets, I just want to win games and if I can win four games in the FA Cup, I think we could earn as much as £10,000.

"But you win the game first, and then decided what the rewards come from it are.

"I am really pleased about today.  We dipped a little just before half time as we got a bit cocky with ourselves, and the players needed a reminder at half time that we are an honest, hardworking side, and we have set ourselves decent standards this year."

Dartford: Jimmy Simpson, Barry Gibson, Tommy Osborne (Capt), Mark Horan, Brad Potter, Paul Sykes (Lee Coburn 73), Tostao Kwashi (Tommy Planck 82), Ted Ansell (Kwabena Amaning 71), Jim Carter, Eddie McClements, Tommy Martin.  Subs: Darren Penfold, Obey Murefu (GK)

Horsham YMCA: James Plumley, Matt Duffield (Capt), Nathan Sleat (Nick Levett 62), Barrie Westgate, Tom Carter, James Grant, Gary Bidwell (Dean Carden 62), James Bird, Steve Davies, Ally Russell, Joel O'Hara (Wayne Potter 67).

Referee: Mr R Smith (New Addington)
Assistants: Mr N Lugg (Chipstead) & Mr A Day (Old Coulsdon)
Attendance: 287

To Advertise Here - Telephone Stephen McCartney - 07979 418 360