Thursday 01st September 2005

To advertise telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360



Saturday 12th
March 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Neil Sanders reports from Maidstone Road
Chatham Town 1 Armadi 68
Wingate & Finchley 2 Grimsdell 66
Sloma 84

One of those days for Chatham!

ANDY Boyle and Andy Larkin returned in central defence for Chatham, thus allowing Steve Best to reform the promising midfield partnership with Steve Searle.

Apart from one early attempted lob by Wingate & Finchley’s Sam Soma in the 10th minute, Chatham pretty much dominated the first  half. 

Headers from Brendon Cass and Matt Bourne, plus a Darren Adams left foot shot all went close within the first 20 minutes, before a quick free kick enabled Michael Smissen to test the visitors keeper from an acute angle.  

Chatham continued to attack with Israel Armadi causing problems down the left and neat passing between Best and Searle nearly opening the door down the middle. 

Just before the break Adams forced the best save of the half from keeper Ed Thompson with a powerful shot from 20 yards.

Chatham continued to look the more likely to score early in the second half with both Armadi and Adams bringing fine saves from the busy visiting keeper. 

Then in the 52nd minute Smissen was brought down in the penalty area and last week’s successful penalty taker Adams, stepped forward to take the kick. However, on this occasion his spot kick was well saved and the rebound shot went over the bar.

Just after the hour mark, Frannie Collin replaced Adams who had been suffering from sickness during the 24 hours before the match.

Wingate & Finchley took the lead against the run of play in the 67th minute.  A break down the right wing was finished well by Danny Grimsdell with a high looping shot from the edge of the Chatham penalty area. 

However, the lead only lasted two minutes.  After good work on the right, the ball came across to Israel Armadi who neatly slotted home from 6 yards.

Chatham continued to press and Thompson was again forced to save well, this time at close range from Andy Larkin. 

Unfortunately for Chatham with just six minutes left a quick break found Wingate & Finchley’s top scorer Dean Williams on the right, and his cross was well finished by Sam Sloma, to send the visitors home with the points. 

At the final whistle even the visiting supporters were unsure how they had managed to win considering the amount of possession and chances created by Chatham.

I guess the answer was that their keeper Ed Thompson  was the star of the show.  It was just one of those days for the Chats when the final score did not reflect a fine performance.

Chatham Town:  Green, Smissen, Bourne, Boyle, Larkin, Best, Brookes, Searle, Cass, Adams (Collin 63), Armadi.  Subs: Solly, Billinness.

Wingate & Finchley: Thompson, Gradosielski (Ward 59), Rispoli, Ellis, Crnobrja, Grimsdell, Roach (Kissi 59), Smith, Williams, Sloma, Wood (Blackshaw 78).  Sub: Shafer.