Thursday 01st September 2005
Saturday 9th
April 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Neil Sanders reports from Abrahams Stadium
Wingate & Finchley 1 Morris 52
Chatham Town 4 Cass 29
Collin 44
Larkin 60, 63

Sweet revenge!

STEVE Best, Tom Binks and Frannie Collin returned the starting line up, with Darren Adams, Matt Bourne and Matt Solly on the bench, as Chatham Town looked to avenge last month’s harsh result against Wingate & Finchley

Chatham had the better of the early exchanges with Brendon Cass forcing two good saves in the opening four minutes.

Steve Best and Steve Searle were winning the midfield battle and the pressure was growing on the home defence.  Mark Brookes did well to intercept and hasty cross field pass and set up Cass on 27 minutes, but keeper Ed Thompson who had kept his team in the previous encounter, made another good save.

However, seven minutes later Chatham took the lead. Cass battled strongly to win possession from a high ball in the penalty area, and squeeze the ball home from 12 yards. 

Chats doubled the lead in first half injury time after more hard work by Cass was rewarded when his shot was only partially stopped.  Collin was in the right place to pounce on the loose ball and volley home for a deserved 2-0 half time lead.

The home team had their best spell of the match early in the second half, and pulled a goal back after 53 minutes when their captain Guy Morris headed home a free kick at the far post. 

However, any hope of a comeback was short lived as Chatham restored the two goal advantage on the hour mark. After Cass had forced another decent save to win a corner, Andy Larkin rose highest to head home from six yards.  

Two minutes later Louis Green made a point blank save and from the break Cass came close, winning another corner. Andy Larkin again showed his aerial power at the corner, to head his second goal in three minutes and make it 4-1. 

Chatham looked determined not to let their opponents back into the game and a goal line clearance from Binks, together with a brilliant last gasp tackle by Andy Boyle maintained the lead.

Collin nearly stole the show with 20 minutes left as two Gascoigne-esque flicks over defenders set him up, but his shot was blocked out for another corner.

Chatham boss Steve Binks was delighted with an excellent performance and particularly on how well Chatham had passed the ball throughout the game.  Everyone deserved the high praise and recent signings Searle and Cass earned particular recognition for their contributions to a very entertaining match,  which Chatham could have won by more.

Wingate & Finchley: Thompson, Ward, Sloma (Wood 30), Ellis, Crnobrjna (Berg 45), Morris, Kissi (Barnes 45), Grimsdell, Williams, Smith, Blackshaw.  Subs: Davis, Archer

Chatham Town:  Green, Binks, D.Larkin, Boyle, A.Larkin (Bourne 79), Best, Brookes (Solly 74), Searle, Cass, Collin (Adams 79), Armadi. Sub: Hunt