Thursday 01st September 2005

Walker beats his former club Chatham

Saturday 6th
August 2005
Neil Sanders reports from Crabble
Dover Athletic 2 Humphrey 30
Browne 60
Chatham Town 0  


Both teams included their latest signings, Danny Chapman for Dover and Dexter Fidyk (who played for Margate in their pre-season win at Tonbridge Angels recently) for the visitors in their starting line ups, writes Neil Sanders.
Chatham started well and hit the woodwork twice in the first 11 minutes, both efforts coming from the unlucky Brendan Cass.  Firstly he broke clear on the right and saw his looping cross / shot hit the bar.  Then a through ball by Steve Best sent him clear to lob Dover keeper Paul Hyde, but the ball hit the inside of the post and rolled along the goal line to safety.
Dover took the lead against the run of play after 30 minutes.  Chatham were unable to clear their area from a corner and Nicky Humphrey powered in a header at the far post.
The visitors suffered another blow moments later when influential skipper Steve Best went off injured.
Dover controlled much more possession in the second half and increased their lead on the hour.  After a good run by Anthony Hogg, a pin point cross from Daniel Braithwaite was volleyed into the roof of the net at the far post by Tony Browne.
During the latter stages Dover continued to pressure with some dangerous crosses, while at the other end Cass was Chatham's main threat with his well timed runs breaching the offside trap on more than one occasion.

Experienced Dover Athletic goalkeeper Paul Hyde comes out to meet Chatham Town striker, Brendan Cass, during their 2-0 win at Crabble on Saturday.

Photograph: Adrian Line (Chatham Town FC)


Dover Athletic: Hyde, Browne, Braithwaite, Readings (Ball), Cloke (Matata), Humphrey, Chapman, Spiller, Wilkins, Tyne, Hogg.
Subs: Rogers, Hamshare, Smith
Chatham Town: Green, Boyle, D.Larkin, A.Larkin, Bourne, Best (Lyons), Binks (Solly), Searle, Fidyk (Denness), Cass, Finn (Walker). Sub: Hunt