Sunday 19th September 2004
www.yourcounty.co.uk - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football

Larkin has plenty in reserve

ASHFORD TOWN under eighteen manager Martin Larkin has decided to commit his future to the reserve team after what can be described as a hectic month, writes Stephen McCartney.

Larkin has been sharing his time between the under eighteen's and the reserve team at The Homelands club but after conversations with reserve team manager Mike Robbins and Tim Thorogood the club's director of football it was decided that it was not fair on either of the sides to short change them and his attention should be solely focused on one of the sides.

Larkin said: "I have enjoyed my time with the 18's immensely and would like to thank all the players, parents and club officials that have been loyal to me over the last two years.

"I now look forward to developing my working relationship with Mike Robbins."

Therefore, the Ryman League Division One club would like to advertise the position of under eighteen manager.

The candidate should have experience of working with youth players whilst coaching qualifications are preferred.

For an informal conversation please contact the club on 01233 611 838, or send your C.V. to the club.

Ashford Town's reserves, however, thrashed RSME (Army) 5-0 at the Garrison Ground in Chatham last week.

Both sides started at a frantic pace and Ashford boss Mike Robbins starting with a 3-5-2 formation.

However, it was soon made apparent that the Nuts and Bolts would be swamped, if they didn't change things, as the very competitive young Army side threw three players up front from the first whistle.

Ashford utility man, Danny Jones started the game as the holding midfielder, but was moved back to right-back after only ten minutes.

Ironically, the Army side could have been 1-0 up by that time.

Starting up front with Dan Jefferies, Darren Wills opened the scoring on 15 minutes after being put through by Jason Long.

The same pair combined well again on 26 minutes with Willis getting the final touch.

Mistakes from both sides resulted in an eventful first half, that included a penalty save from Billy Rice.

The second half started brightly for Ashford and with six different players on the field, Town soon started to play the better football, mixing up the short game with the long game - which bore more fruit on the hour mark, when Ashford were awarded the second penalty of the match.  Willis calmly converted his first hat-trick of the campaign.

O'Hara, Day and Cunningham all went close for Ashford whilst French trialist goalkeeper Karl waited for some action.

Cunningham rounded off a bustling performance with a well deserved ball following an awesome free kick from the goalkeeper.

Young Willis raced through with four minutes remaining to score his fourth goal of the game.

The performance of some of the players has given manager Robbins a selection headache that he doesn't mind having.

However, Ashford crashed back to earth with a thump, in their next game, going down 4-1 to Ramsgate at The Homelands in the Go Travel Kent League First Division.